Sunday, May 19

Avatar and Ecofeminism

I was a junior in high school when I watched this movie with my mother. At the end she said she hated this movie because of the plot. I thought she was crazy, but now I realize my mother is somewhat of an ecofeminist. She then explained how she is tired of seeing the man come in and destroy a civilization. 
The quote that stands out throughout this trailer below is, 
"They've sent us a message, that they can take whatever they want, but we will send them a message, that this, this is OUR LAND!" 
This movie is really about globalization, indigoes population, colonialism, capturing more land and natural resources.
But the man sees this as an opportunity to gain more power and wealth. They do not care about other civilizations, they only care about themselves. The man wants to act as if the Navi's are trying to cause a war, but really they want to protect what is theirs. Man is greedy. Man has no emotion and only acts on reason. In order to get things done, masculinity and femininity needs to be complimentary. In order to get things done correctly they need to be combined, not seen as complete separate entities.

No comments:

Post a Comment